Friday, January 25, 2013

Ink to Image [1] - The Twilight Saga


Hey quirks! I've decided to do a new feature that focuses on books that have been adapted for the silver or small screen. Rather than just reviewing the books/movies/shows, I plan to discuss what makes one or the other better, why I chose to read the book or watch the movie/show, and my plans, if any, on continuing to read or watch. I kind of want to give you an idea of how this will work, so for my introductory post, I decided to use a franchise that is well-known, well-loved, and well-hated: The Twilight Saga*.



I'll begin with 'Which came first, the chicken or the egg?' question: Did I read the books or watch the movies first?
I had just started reading the first novel, Twilight, when I watched the movie, so I say I watched the movie first. But for the rest of the series, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn, I read the books first.


Which was better?
Neither the movie franchise nor the book series is the best of what each medium has to offer and the pitfalls of both have been well-documented. Still, I found both forms of the story to be entertaining, and each had some great aspects. I liked some of the additions in the films, specifically the twist in Breaking Dawn Part 2 and the higher level of action throughout the series, but overall I think I enjoyed the books more because of all the details that were in the books but ultimately left out of the movies. (This is a common issue with book adaptations and will likely be mentioned frequently in my Ink to Image posts.)


What made me read/watch?
The Twilight movie buzz was just a hum when I became aware of it, but then some of my friends who had already read the first book invited me to come along when they went to see the movie. Having been informed by them that it was based on a book, I decided to read the story as well. I was more interested after seeing the movie, and then became enthralled (like pretty much everyone else) after finishing the first book, so I completed the series.


Will I read/watch more if available?
I do not think the world of Twilight needs to be revisited on screen for a very long time. That is not to say I wouldn't eventually watch a related film or show, but I would do so reluctantly if they appear within the next decade or two. However, if Stephenie Meyer wrote more Twilight stories/books, I would definitely read them. Not only do I want to know more about what happens to certain characters (not the main two) but I enjoy the lore. I read the novella that came out a while back (The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner) and loved it. I think not only does Meyer have some good story foundation to go with but she is also getting better as a writer, so it would be great to see her do something else with it beyond the scope of Bella and Edward.



That's it quirks, short and sweet! I hope you enjoyed my first foray into this feature. What are your thoughts on this book to movie comparison? Let me know in the comments! ^_^

*Click on a book's cover to be taken to the book's Goodreads page and click on a movie poster to be taken to the movie's IMDB page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!