Sunday, August 25, 2013

Ink to Image [3] - The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones



Did I read the book or watch the movie first?
I read this book back in 2011. If you saw my review (which you can find here), you know I wasn't that impressed with it.

Which was better?
For me, the movie is better, hands down. Since I read the book so long ago, I wasn't caught up in all tiny changes from the story to the screen, but I still knew where some of the more major differences were. I thought the movie did a good job of streamlining and simplifying the narrative while still keeping the most important aspects intact. There were also some hat-tips to the readers (and one at the end was especially cool).


What made me read/watch?
Back when I read the book, I'd heard about the series, but it still wasn't quite the huge fandom it is today. I thought I would like the book because it had a lot of elements I look for in paranormal YA, but it fell flat for me. However, the movie previews looked really good, so despite not being part of the fandom, I still wanted to see the film and I'm glad I did.

Will I read/watch more if available?
I've already read the second and third books in the series (my reviews can be found here and here) and I plan to read the last three books eventually, but I will definitely be seeing future TMI films. The actors did a great job of embodying the characters and I connected with them a lot faster than I did in the novels. The effects and action scenes were fantastic, and I liked how everything played out on screen. Clary and Jace's first kiss was pretty epic, and I definitely liked movie-Jace better than book-Jace. There were some awkward parts where the music came in and took over scenes and made them feel a bit cheesy, but overall it was a fun and entertaining movie that I thought did the book justice.


That's it quirks! I hope you enjoyed my assessment. Have you gotten to see the City of Bones movie yet? If so, what did you think? Let me know in the comments!?

*Click on a book's cover to be taken to the book's Goodreads page, click on the movie poster to be taken to the movie's website, and click on the movie banner to be taken to the TMI Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!