Sunday, May 17, 2015

As I change, so must the blog.

On May 15th, Writer Quirk turned five. That's incredibly difficult for me to wrap my head around. In those five years, so much has changed, not only within my own life, but even in the worlds of book blogging and publishing.

Five years ago I started Writer Quirk because I wanted to be part of community, share my writing journey, and talk about YA books. Those things are still true. But also at that time, every spare moment I had went to writing or reading. I didn't watch a lot of TV, I didn't hang out much with friends, I didn't have a husband or a ton of responsibility.

That, of course, is no longer true. I'm married, I have to take care of the house and a disabled mother, all while working full time, but I don't have the energy I had five years ago. That is partly due to worsened health and the toll depression has taken/is still taking on my mind and body. I still write and think about my novels and ideas, but I don't do it nearly as much as I want to. I read still, but I go through long periods where I don't/can't read.

Also in those five years, I found fandoms. I experienced Doctor Who, Supernatural, and Sherlock for the first time. My enthusiasm for a childhood favorite, My Little Pony, was reborn thanks to my friends being fans of the new show. I became active on Twitter and Tumblr. I became a feminist.

Now I watch a lot of things (mostly thanks to the miracles that are Hulu and Netflix). I have a huge passion for The Voice (which you would have noticed since I live tweet it sometimes), and I love vegging out to The Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise. I love scripted shows, reality shows, movies, music, and of course, books, and I want to talk about all of it.

I love blogging, but having massive reading slumps makes running a blog solely about books extremely difficult, so instead of closing the blog or quitting, the blog is evolving to fit the me of today. So that is where Writer Quirk is headed. Instead of just focusing on YA books, reading, and writing, I'm broadening the blog's scope to include whatever pop culture item or experience I like.

I'm not changing the blog's name or site or anything, just the overall theme. There will still be book related posts (as books are a part of pop culture), they just won't be the only thing.

I want to thank all of you that have been with me over these last five years, and I hope you continue on this journey with me.

Lots of love,



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!