Saturday, July 10, 2010

Museic - NeedToBreathe

Museic: Bands, songs, and albums that inspire my writing 

This edition features:

NEEDTOBREATHE - The Heat
Bear Rinehart - Vocals, Guitar, Piano
Bo Rinehart - Guitar, Background Vocals 
Seth Bolt - Bass, Background Vocals 
Joe Stillwell - Drums, Background Vocals


I'm sure some of you have heard of this amazing band, but
if not, now you can learn about one of my favorites!


Bits about the band from the band's site 
(full article here):
"We're from a small town in South Carolina called Possum Kingdom," NEEDTOBREATHE frontman Bear Rinehart explains when asked about the place he and his younger brother/co-writer Bo were raised. "Trust me - there was absolutely no music scene there."
The sons of an Assembly of God pastor, Bear and Bo Rinehart had inherited their father's gift with words, and put it to good use in their songwriting; their mother taught piano, making music a constant part of their young lives. Formed in 1999, NEEDTOBREATHE (with childhood friends Joe Stillwell and Seth Bolt) built an impressive regional following, playing throughout the Southeast. Along the way, they sold more than 15,000 copies of their self-released EP's, recorded by Seth, who had earned a degree in record engineering. 2006 saw the release of the band's major label debut, Daylight, and a relentless, national touring schedule. Despite being on the road nearly non-stop, NEEDTOBREATHE returned the following year with The Heat, which went to #2 on the Heatseekers chart and spawned the hit single "More Time," a top 10 success at Triple-A radio (sitting alongside established artists like Coldplay and Jack Johnson). The group's penchant for capturing a poignant moment or eliciting an emotion with their music is evidenced by the numerous songs from each of their albums that have appeared in film and television, including the Hilary Swank-starring, motion picture P.S. I Love You and MTV's "The Hills," among many others.

Why THE HEAT is Museical:  When I think of warm nights,  fireflies, and bonfires, I think of NeedToBreathe.  I know these are Southern boys, but their music makes me think of California beaches.  When I rediscovered this album (I've had it for a while) it fit the carefree spirit of my MC perfectly.  She's originally from California, loves the sun and surf, and has a laid back personality.  This changes for her later, but this album perfectly fits where she's at as a character at the beginning of the story.  There are also parts of this album that fit one of my MC's love interests, which when I stumbled across it, inspired actual scenes in my head.  So, yeah, I'm lovin' this album big time.


Tracks (*faves*):
  1. Spare The Time
  2. *Restless*
  3. *Again*
  4. *Return*
  5. *We Could Run Away*
  6. Streets of Gold
  7. *More Time*
  8. Signature of Divine (Yahweh)
  9. ***Looks Like Love***
  10. ***The Heat***
  11. ***Nothing Left To Lose***
  12. *Movin' On*
  13. Washed By The Water
  14. *Second Chances*

Quirk: Lately I've been taking dusk/night drives through the beautiful open spaces that exist near where I live, and I refuse to listen to anything but this album, specifically tracks nine, ten, and eleven.  Windows down, wind whipping through my hair,  NeedToBreathe blaring...perfect summer night.


(Listen to song previews here.)


Rating:  Royalty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!