Thursday, June 16, 2011

N - Authors from A to Z Challenge

Authors from A to Z is a posting challenge hosted by 
Heather at Proud Book Nerd. The challenge is simple: each day for the month of June (except Sundays) share your favorite authors whose last name corresponds to the letter for that day.  For more info, click the photo!

How I'm participating in the challenge:
I am trying to highlight at least three authors (YA or otherwise) per letter, some current favorites, others future favorites. If I cannot come up with three, I will substitute favorite books that start with the letter of that day. If that doesn't work, then just for fun I am going to list songs that start with the letter of that day. And if that doesn't work, well, it will be a surprise!

Today's Letter: N

Jenny Nimmo
I stumbled upon Nimmo's middle grade Children of the Red King series (also known as the Charlie Bone books) at my local library.  It sounded kind of Harry Potter-ish (Nimmo is also British), so I gave it a go.  Can we say insta-love?  The books are lighter than HP turned out to be, and there is magic of a sort, and a gigantic cast of unique and highly entertaining characters to fall in love with and love to loathe.  I read the entire series, eight books in all, and when I saw that a new release came out this month, this time focusing on the origin and adventures of the Red King himself, I literally squeed.  The thing I will most miss in the new series is Uncle Peyton.  Peyton!  Oh, he's awesome.  Back to the books...Nimmo's writing is easy and fun, and I always felt like I got a really good sense of the characters and their world through her descriptions.  Take a chance on this series, but don't expect it to have the depth of HP, but do expect to have a good time in the world of Charlie Bone.

Alyson Noel (Future Favorite)
Who reads YA that has not heard of Noel?  Again, this is one of those authors everyone seems to have read and loved, and I'm planning on finding out for myself.  Her Immortals series looks intriguing, and everyone in the YA blogosphere seems to be jumping at any and every chance to get their hands on the final installment, Everlasting.  I might even give her contemporary novels a read.  She also has another series (Riley Bloom) that looks interesting as well.  Seems she has something for everyone, so maybe I will find something I like!

Chloe Neill (Future Favorite)
I don't know much about this author, but her YA series, The Dark Elite, looks right up my alley, a good paranormal series that is a little lighter than some of the others.  Every time I see the cover of Firespell, I just want to jump into the book.  Neill also has an adult series about a grad student that looks interesting to me as well (vampires!) so I may also give it a try.

1 comment:

Thank you for reading!