Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Q - Authors from A to Z Challenge

Authors from A to Z is a posting challenge hosted by 
Heather at Proud Book Nerd. The challenge is simple: each day for the month of June (except Sundays) share your favorite authors whose last name corresponds to the letter for that day.  For more info, click the photo!

How I'm participating in the challenge:
I am trying to highlight at least three authors (YA or otherwise) per letter, some current favorites, others future favorites. If I cannot come up with three, I will substitute favorite books that start with the letter of that day. If that doesn't work, then just for fun I am going to list songs that start with the letter of that day. And if that doesn't work, well, it will be a surprise!

Today's Letter: Q

Quills
Since for today's (technically Monday's) letter I couldn't come up with any authors, books, or songs, I thought I would do 'Q' words that somehow related to books.  Quills should be rather obvious.  Not only did people use quills in the past to write, but quills are also a minor (although much mentioned) object in the Harry Potter series.  And ever since I heard them mentioned, I've really wanted a Sugar Quill.  I imagine a sugar quill would be like a stick of rock candy's intellectual, more magical older brother.

Quiver
And no, I don't mean the synonym of  "shudder" and that thing Bella Swan did umpteen times during Eclipse.  I mean the kind people put arrows in.  More specifically, the kind people in fantasy and some select dystopian novels put arrows in.  Katniss had a quiver.  So did Legolas.  And I bet all the readers out there can name a hundred (or two or four) other characters in the literary world who make good use of a quiver.  They are more important than you think.

Quirks
You had to see this coming!  Of course, Writer Quirk is about books and the writing of books, so of course it makes the list as the most awesome 'Q' word relating to books ever!  Okay, maybe not in the rest of the world, but on this blog it does.  And also, it is one of the things we readers love about characters - their quirks.  Edward's crooked grin, Harry's relentless courage, Ron's knack for voice imitation, Hermione's inability to not answer a question correctly, Alanna's violet eyes, Daine's thoughtfulness toward all animals, Owen Meany's birth, the reason for Ford Perfect's name, all of these things add to who each character is in one way or another.  Without these quirks, whether they are big or small, we wouldn't know them as we do or have grown to love them as we have.  Go quirks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!