Thursday, June 14, 2012

Authors from A to Z: L

Authors from A to ZAuthors from A to Z is a posting challenge hosted by
Heather at Proud Book Nerd. The challenge is simple: each day for the month of June (except Sundays) share your favorite authors whose last name corresponds to the letter for that day.  
For more info, click the photo.

How I'm participating in the challenge:
This year I am going to try to highlight just one author each day that I am really taken with. If I can't come up with one, it may be a book, a song, or a surprise!


Most people, because of the books or the show, are familiar with the series Pretty Little Liars. When the buzz about the TV show started, I gave the first one a shot and it was okay. I liked the mystery part of it but the drama just wasn't for me. But then I saw that Sara Shepard, the author, also had another series called The Lying Game (which was also made into a TV show*). I read the synopsis and was hooked: murder, mystery, multiple births (aka twins). All things I love in books, and together? Yes, please.

So I have now read the three books that are out, The Lying Game, Never Have I Ever, and Two Truths and a Lie. While the books aren't perfect, they are fun. I love the main character, Emma Paxton, and it's a blast going along with her as she tries to figure out who killed her twin sister, Sutton Mercer, while at the same time pretending to be Sutton. As for Sutton, she is actually the narrator, somehow tied to her sister from the afterlife and realizing just how good she had it and how much she took her life for granted.

The books are exciting and tense with many twists and turns and I have about six guesses for whodunit. The clues work in so many ways that it could be nearly anyone, which I love, but it does make me anxious for the next book, Hide and Seek, which hits shelves next month. If you're a fan of Pretty Little Liars, or you enjoy mysteries and a tiny touch of the supernatural, you should definitely try this series.

*From what I've seen, The Lying Game books and The Lying Game TV show are pretty much nothing alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!